Here’s a photo to show you what a traditional, old-fashion Chinese steamer looks like. This is the upper layer. It’s 28cm wide which is a good size since I can fit my largest bowl in it when I need to.
As I’m feeling a little guilty for the lack of exercise today, I’m going to share with you a non-traditional, but healthy double chocolate steamed cupcake recipe! The basic recipe is similar to making traditional chinese steamed cakes. Are you ready for it?
- 75g all-purpose flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 3.5 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp chocolate chips
- Fill a steamer with water and bring it to boil.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, sugar, milk and vegetable oil together.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix them together well.
- Add the chocolate chips to the mixture and mix well.
- Fill each cupcake holder half-way. (I used silicon cupcake holders. Do not use paper ones!)
- Place the cupcake holders in the steamer. Cover it and steam for 10 minutes.
- The cupcakes are cooked when a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve when cupcakes are warm or at room temperature.